In compliance with a new law, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has changed its rules to give children born overseas to U.S. military families and civil servants immediate American citizenship.
The changes adopted by USCIS on Sept. 18 will, in a small number of cases, allow military families and civil servants to avoid a laborious and potentially costly application process to get citizenship for their children, according to Sen. Tammy Duckworth, D-Ill., a sponsor of the new law passed by Congress and signed by President Donald Trump.
Read Next: 22 Retired 4-Stars Join Nearly 500 NatSec Leaders in Letter Endorsing Joe Biden
The new law scraps rules put in place by USCIS in August 2019 that caused widespread confusion for military families.
The August 2019 rules still gave citizenship in the vast majority of cases, but said that it was not automatic for children born overseas if the parents adopted them while serving abroad; the parents became U.S. citizens after their children were born; or the parents were American citizens but had never lived in the U.S.
In a statement, Duckworth said the new law will make sure that children born while stationed abroad, as well as stepchildren and adopted children, will automatically acquire U.S. citizenship.
In addition, service members and civil servants who were subject to the old rules can now avoid application fees that can amount to $1,000 or more to gain citizenship for the children, she said.
"Children of Americans serving their nation abroad are just as worthy of automatic citizenship as any other children," Duckworth said. "Forcing military families to jump through bureaucratic hoops and spend hundreds of dollars applying for citizenship on behalf of their children was not right."
The new USCIS rules can be seen here.
-- Richard Sisk can be reached at Richard.Sisk@Military.com.
Related: New Citizenship Policy to Affect Roughly 25 Military Children Per Year, Officials SayShow Full Article
© Copyright 2020 Military.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- اسباب بازی بدون رانندگی خودت دیوانه
- اکنون درباره کاناپه بادی درست چه کاری آیا میتوانید انجام دهید
- بایدن از سنا می خواهد تا اقدامی در مورد حق رای اتخاذ کند
- یک اسباب بازی ایجاد کنید که بتوانید به آن افتخار کنید
- و تاخیر در اجرای از سوابق پزشکی الکترونیکی سیستم دوباره به همه گیر
- 7 نجاتبخش نکات در مورد جکوزی بادی
- Do These 10 Things to Reduce Your Risk of Identity Theft
- نیمی از دنیا از یکدیگر دریایی پسر رقابت در مجازی تاریخی نیم
- عکس: گردبادهای ویرانگر غرب میانه و جنوب شرق را در هم می شکند
- 15 Jaw-Dropping Homes You Can Only Reach by Boat